Middle Eastern Exchange Points

Martin Hannigan hannigan at renesys.com
Wed Feb 8 20:05:34 UTC 2006

At 01:45 PM 2/8/2006, Bill Woodcock wrote:

>       On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Martin Hannigan wrote:
>     > Guys, are you being semantic?
>
>Yes, we're doggedly insisting that words mean what they're defined to
>mean, rather than the opposite.
>
>     > You keep saying EMIX
>     > and you're confusing me. Peering or no? "IX" naturally insinuates
>     > yes regardless of neutrality.
>
>Exactly.  "IX" as a component of a name is _intended to insinuate_ the
>availability of peering, _regardless of whether that's actually true or
>false_.  Which is why we keep analogizing to the STIX, which was _called_
>an IX, but was _not_ an IX, in that it had nothing to do with peering,
>only with a single provider's commercial transit product.  The same is
>currently true throughout much of the Middle East.

Here's the accurate cairo data:

- CRIX is DOA
- CAIX is the government sponsored replacement
         -nile, Raya, Egynet, and others I can't
         discuss.
- they are peering
- Regional IX

If you have a room full of providers who connect up to
a common switch and exchange something, I'd tend to
believe that it is an exchange. GRX, Layer3, etc.

I didnt disagree with you for the most part on the UAE,
I asked why I saw what I saw. Joe answered the technical
question and I found the political/technical choke point
for the UAE's access. Google can confirm that.

I can understand the frustration.

-M<

--
Martin Hannigan                                (c) 617-388-2663
Renesys Corporation                            (w) 617-395-8574
                                                hannigan at renesys.com