Middle Eastern Exchange Points

Martin Hannigan hannigan at renesys.com
Wed Feb 8 05:16:14 UTC 2006

At 11:55 PM 2/7/2006, Bill Woodcock wrote:
>       On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Martin Hannigan wrote:
>     > Interconnecting in a government exchange is
>     > still peering.
>
>Uh, not if it's buying transit.
>
>     > They are peering, even if it isn't by our
>     > definitions.
>
>Uh, Marty...  the difference between peering and transit is that they have
>different definitions.  If you say transit is peering, just not by our
>definitions, then you're into 1984 territory.

Bill:

I'm pretty sure you know that I know the difference between paid transit
and peering. If I were buying transit, I would've had a different
comment. I think we may have a difference though, I don't think
jumping on a big switch and saying "yes" to every peering request is
peering, and I think this is a better discussion at the peering bof
or in person.

Anyhow, I'll be happy to tell you as much as I can (NDA) in
Montreal. I don't see you listed for Dallas.

Is Howard going to find peering in, er, Egypt? It depends what his
value proposition is.

-M<

Martin Hannigan                                (c) 617-388-2663
Renesys Corporation                            (w) 617-395-8574
Member of Technical Staff                      Network Operations
                                                hannigan at renesys.com