eastern Nebraska regional service problem (Sprint, AT&T, Qwest transport?)

neal rauhauser neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Tue Feb 7 20:16:12 UTC 2006

    I'm talking to an ISP in eastern Nebraska who has a DS3 to Sprint.
They've got a peer they tie to with private fiber. That peer has a DS3
from AT&T. Both normally see 20ms response times on pings from their
border routers to the carrier router. Since last Thursday the Sprint
connected ISP has been seeing this time bounce between 20ms and 1000ms
or more. Customer experience with regards to latency mirrors the ping
response times.

   Sprint has done intrusive testing on the DS3 physical layer/link
layer - no problems found. The Sprint connected ISP has good bandwidth
management practices - control of usage via an Allot Netenforcer and
netflow export from their border router collected by a Manage Enginer
Netflow Analyzer box. They see nothing out of the ordinary. I have less
contact with the AT&T ISP but I'm told they've got some sort of netflow
collection going and they've not seeing anything unusual in terms of
customer traffic.

   Is anyone else seeing this? We're guessing there might be some shared
MPLS transport for AT&T and Sprint in this mix since its affecting both
ISPs in the same fashion, but we don't know the gritty details about the
path. If this is an MPLS issue I believe Qwest transport could be involved.

--
mailto:Neal at Layer3Arts.com // IM:layer3arts
voice: 402 408 5951