Interesting netflow entry

Bill Nash billn at odyssey.billn.net
Tue Feb 7 19:13:18 UTC 2006

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

>> Are you sure you're getting everything?
>
> he did previously state he was only using about 120mbps... and it'd depend
> upon his/your sample rates as well...

Missed that part. Even so, 120mbps of actual usage, I would expect to see
a higher volume. Sampling would definitely bring this down a bit, but for
a volume that small, why bother sampling? You'll miss too much.

One problem I had while checking out various packages, flow-tools
specifically, is that some can't handle differing flow versions. Also,
flow generation from a routing-capable 6509 is configured in two different
places, so the potential to lose flow traffic due to poor documentation
(of both the collector and the generator) definitely exists. Flow-tools
picks which version it processes based on the version of the first flow
packet it receives, and then discards all else.

- billn