Interesting netflow entry

Bill Nash billn at odyssey.billn.net
Tue Feb 7 18:21:15 UTC 2006

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006, Wil Schultz wrote:

>> Incidentally (because I ask everyone this), what's your flow volume (flows
>> per second)?
>>
> Cannot get ahold of the machine until tomorrow. I did a 'wc' on 4 devices for
> 5 minutes and it comes out to just under 3600, about 11-12 per second...

Erm, that seems kind of low. Flow volume for two 6509s in what I consider
a small to medium size hosting site, with about 6+ gigs of differentiated
egress generates more than 8 to 9 *thousand* flows per second, and that's
after discard incomplete tcp flows (port scans, half open syns, etc.)

Are you sure you're getting everything?

- billn