Triple Play [was: CAUTION: Potentially Dumb Question...]

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Tue Feb 7 04:17:45 UTC 2006

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006, Bora Akyol wrote:
> > He hasn't taken broadcast TV delivery into account in the
> > Triple Play scenario.  You gotta plumb them packets good for that...
>
> I don't watch anything live anymore, all via Tivo. If Tivo could
> do bittorrent and download the content, then would I need
> broadcast?

Broadcast remains an extremely efficient method for bulk distribution of
content to those TiVo's even if you watch everything on a delay.  Some
grad student can probably write a thesis what the cross-over point is for
different use conditions.  FedEx vs. P2P vs. Unicast vs. Broadcast vs. ???

I think BitTorrent is successfull because that's where the content
people want is.  I don't think users actually care much about the
protocols.  We've seen how fickle users can be, quickly migrating
to different protocols/applications depending on where the content
they want is.  Are there any Gopher servers left?

> TV model is going to change significantly in the next 3-5 years.

I'll agree, but I have no idea how.  Most of the predictions will
be wrong, they always are.

I've seen a lot of cool future stuff from various companies and individual
inventors.  But it will be the consumer that decides the winners.