Did anyone else notice the CAIDA skitter poster in the background of George Bush's speech at the NSA?

Etaoin Shrdlu shrdlu at deaddrop.org
Mon Feb 6 16:12:08 UTC 2006

Barry Greene (bgreene) wrote:

[moved comment to bottom; top posting bad]

>>From: Martin Hannigan [mailto:hannigan at renesys.com]

[also hate outlook]

>>>Um... (noticed on other lists, by the way)
>>>
>>>http://securitywizardry.com/radar.htm

The *entire* point of that, was to make it clear that everything you saw
was *manufactured*, that the NSA (and other agencies) are _not_ going to
have data up on a screen that pertains to _anything_ during a photo op,
with a bunch of reporters and politicos.

>>I like the skitter chart, but at the Vegas NANOG, Barry
>>Greene disclaimed it and said it was "out of date". I hope
>>the NSA is using up to date data. It would be horrific if
>>they weren't.

My bet is that they have more up to date data.

>>>Maybe now the US Gov can open their pocket book and pay for Skitter? :-)

Well, as I'd said first time around, it was probably just an image that
was a part of the overall construction. Amusing to look at, but I doubt
whether you can take anything you see there as reality.

--
Everyone picks and chooses, an infinite number of times a day.

- David Phalen, One For the Road, in Analog, March 2001