So -- what did happen to Panix?

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at verizonbusiness.com
Sat Feb 4 20:21:00 UTC 2006

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:

> > > Wouldn't a well-operated network of IRRs used by 95% of
> > > network operators be able to meet all three of your
> > > requirements?
> >
> > We have such a database (used by Verio and others), but the Panix
> incident
> > happened anyway due to bit rot.  We've got to find a way to fix the
> layer 8
> > problems before we can make improvements at layer 3.
>
> If an IRR suffers from bit-rot, then I don't consider
> it to be "well-operated" and therefore it cannot be
> considered to be part of a well-operated network of
> IRRs.

honestly I'm not a fan of IRR's, so don't pay attention to them, but... is
the IRR 'not well operated' or is the data stale because the 'users' of
the IRR are 'not well operated' ? (the IRR as near as I can tell is
nothing but a web/whois server that you sign-up-for and push/pull data
through, right?)