Modelling a large ISP network with C-BGP

Alain Hebert ahebert at pubnix.net
Thu Feb 2 20:34:55 UTC 2006

    Hi,

    Didnt say it was...  it just that it came off the blue... (its
started in 2003).

    Snapshot dont compile yet on Freebsd.

    But those do: libgds-1.1.8-rc2.tar.gz
<http://cbgp.info.ucl.ac.be/downloads/libgds-1.1.8-rc2.tar.gz> (May
17th, 2005), cbgp-1.1.20-rc2.tar.gz
<http://cbgp.info.ucl.ac.be/downloads/cbgp-1.1.20-rc2.tar.gz> (May 17th,
2005)

I did spend a hour with the soft:

    . it is all the quality of good software...

    . small binaries...

    . fast...

    . large memory usage for simulation...  (~128M for "valid-topology
(July 15th, 2004)")

Where I could use it:

    Well, I can see it being used in a Net Dept (of a ISP with heavy use
of IP routing and BGP) to check pre-depolyement of a new site...
Simulation of the impact of a maintenance... etc.

    I fail to see a usage for smaller ISP that are using BGP only for
peering and OSPF internaly.

     I would like to feed the full routing table, and zerba/quagga/bgp
logs, or route-views data to see a play by play of evenements...  and
being able to inject command to try to control a evenement to reduce the
impact on the net...
    (that would have been cool)

    Have fun...

Alain Hebert                                ahebert at pubnix.net
PubNIX Inc.
P.O. Box 175       Beaconsfield, Quebec     H9W 5T7
tel 514-990-5911   http://www.pubnix.net    fax 514-990-9443