Collocation Access

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 28 05:15:29 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 12:36 +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 27, 2006, Jim Popovitch wrote:
>
> > > Um, no.  I would, however, be willing to have them inform the primary
> > > contact that the key had not been returned and then bill the customer
> > > appropriately for whatever remedy was chosen by the primary contact.
> >
> > How would they know who to bill?
>
> Um, The ID you presented but didn't have to surrender?

At the risk of dragging this to the nth degree... it's already been
established that the ID yahoos have no idea on what a real ID looks like
vs a false ID (esp considering all the possible combinations of ID).
Secondly, say that they do accept your ID as valid, what ties that to
your company (please don't say your business cards).  I know a guy on
5th street who can make me an ID saying I work for pretty much any
letterhead I bring him.  ;-)

> (My colocation provider actually has photos of us all on-hand and only
> requires drivers licence or passport to verify we are who we say we
> are. Names, company and photo has to match or they say no. And if we
> fail to return the key they know who to bill. Now, what'll happen
> when I decide to shave..)

;-) OK, that's a one-to-one relationship, one tech, one destination.  On
the other end of the spectrum are very large companies with many field
techs visiting data centers all over the world.... who maintains the
list of approved pictures and valid names and where do they keep it?

-Jim P.