Home media servers, AUPs, and upstream bandwidth utilization.

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Tue Dec 26 13:48:42 UTC 2006

What hasn't been yet discussed is the upstream/downstream disparity on the
link to the upstream provider.  At least in our ISP operations, downstream
peaks out at about 3x the upstream, and downstream only dips to the upstream
utilization at the wee hours of the morning.

I wouldn't mind if upstream utilization matched downstream rates as we're
essentially paying for downstream utilization, not upstream.  Are there more
pieces to the bandwidth puzzle that would start getting messed up if ISPs
and end-users were more symmetrical in their usage?

Frank