DNS - connection limit (without any extra hardware)

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Dec 12 01:54:16 UTC 2006

In article <Pine.LNX.4.64.0612111613480.26126 at pants.snark.net> you write:

>On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Simon Waters wrote:
>
>> Yes. Most of the root server traffic is answering queries with
>> "NXDOMAIN" for non-existant top level domains, if you slave root
>> on your recursive servers, your recursive servers can answer those
>> queries directly (from the 120KB root zone file), rather than
>> relying on negative caching, and a round trip to the root
>> servers, for every new non-existant domain.
>
>That would require configuring my caching server with authoritative
>zones, and it seems prevailing wisdom (at least with BIND
>configurations?) is to keep the peanut butter seperate from the
>chocolate, no matter how great they taste together, to the best
>of my knowledge.
>
>matto

	No.  The wisdom is to not make your authoritative servers
	caches.  This is not the same as not making your caches
	authoritative for certain zones.  Just don't have the caches
	listed in the NS RRsets.  Note:  You will need to configure
	your master server(s) to notify the caches for the zone
	that slave as the automatic mechanisms won't discover them.

	Mark