DNS - connection limit (without any extra hardware)

Matt Ghali matt at snark.net
Tue Dec 12 00:16:21 UTC 2006

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Simon Waters wrote:

> Yes. Most of the root server traffic is answering queries with
> "NXDOMAIN" for non-existant top level domains, if you slave root
> on your recursive servers, your recursive servers can answer those
> queries directly (from the 120KB root zone file), rather than
> relying on negative caching, and a round trip to the root
> servers, for every new non-existant domain.

That would require configuring my caching server with authoritative
zones, and it seems prevailing wisdom (at least with BIND
configurations?) is to keep the peanut butter seperate from the
chocolate, no matter how great they taste together, to the best
of my knowledge.

matto

   Moral indignation is a technique to endow the idiot with dignity.
                                                 - Marshall McLuhan