Bogon Filter - Please check for 77/8 78/8 79/8

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Dec 12 00:11:06 UTC 2006

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

> no, he's saying that a lawsuit is a useful method of forcing someone
> who is intentionally or negligently distributing incorrect information
> that other people who do not know any better then believe and use in
> their own networks.
>
> i betcha libel laws aren't written in such a way that they are useful
> here, however, there might be some kind of restraint of trade thing
> that could be invoked or somesuch.  ianal, not my dept.

If you google for it, you'll find lots of obsolete bogon info, typically
lacking the suggestion to check IANA's web site or other resources to
check the freshness of the data or any warning that the data will change
over time as more space gets allocated.

>From the first page of google: bogon ACL cisco
http://www.tech-recipes.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6817

Do you threaten to sue them all?  The real problems are all the networks
that setup static bogon filters some time ago which nobody maintains or in
some cases, even knows about.  Changing a few web sites won't fix any of
those routers.

It's a lousy position to be in, but my suggestion is try to make contact
with the bigger / more important networks blocking your new space and let
the rest of them figure it out on their own.

I'm surprised William's site hasn't been updated.  He used to be fairly
active online.  Has anyone heard from him at all recently?