How to pick a Site-Local Scope multi cast address

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Sat Dec 9 20:38:46 UTC 2006

Hello;

I think that pretty much everything John Kristoff said was spot on,
especially to thank you for asking.

Unfortunately, there is no general method for doing this except to
use your GLOP address, if you have one, and that is not really
appropriate for site-local work. Madcap and MZAP were implemented
into Windows, but I have never heard of them being used.

If you look at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/multicast-addresses
it says that
239.255.000.000-239.255.255.255 Site-Local Scope
[Meyer,RFC2365]
should be used for site local scope, but I know that that is not
really followed much either.

So, my advice is

- pick something at random from 239.255/16
- let us know what it is
- give the user a config file or some other means to change it if
they have too.

I would be glad to collect and maintain a list of site-local
multicast addresses, but I have no illusions that
such a list would be complete. It would be worth doing, however.

If you really feel that this is something where there will be
millions deployed, contact me offlist and we
can discuss getting an address from IANA.

Hope this helped, and, again, thank you for asking.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks