repair zombie machines (was: DNS - connection limit)

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 8 18:39:52 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 19:56 +0200, Petri Helenius wrote:
> Has anyone figured out a remote but lawful way to repair zombie machines?

Very interesting question.  I personally believe that OS EULAs and ISP
ToS guidelines provide for an ISP or an OS mfg (i.e. Microsoft) to force
updates and fixes via any means.  That is: if I am your customer and my
PC/router/USB-Camera/whatever is throwing crap your way, crap that
violates your ToS or indicates that I am out of compliance with an EULA,
then I believe others have the right (and IMHO the obligation) to step
in and correct things (it's what parents do for their kids everyday).
So, according to me, any corrective action is lawful when dealing with
customers and equipment that have violated an EULA or ToS guidelines.

Just my $.02.  ;-)

-Jim P.