The IESG Approved the Expansion of the AS Number Registry

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at cisco.com
Fri Dec 1 18:49:06 UTC 2006

On Dec 1, 2006, at 4:50 AM, Andy Davidson wrote:

> RIPE will be accepting requests for 32-bit ASNs from 1/1/07,
> according to an email to ncc-services two weeks ago.  It does not
> feel too early to start to understand what we must do to as a
> community to guarantee ubiquity of reachable networks.

Is there any possibility we can now get a block of ASNs set aside for
documentation purposes, akin to example.com and/or the TEST network?
A block of ASNs for this purpose would be very helpful for folks
writing docs, would reduce the possibility of 'cut-and-paste
hijacking', and would also allow more accurate documentation (many
products and tools have special handling for the designated private
ASNs which make documentation difficult).

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com> // 408.527.6376 voice

		All battles are perpetual.

     		   -- Milton Friedman