The IESG Approved the Expansion of the AS Number Registry

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Fri Dec 1 12:50:46 UTC 2006

On 30 Nov 2006, at 07:02, Chris L. Morrow wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Deepak Jain wrote:
>> Afraid so. I'm hoping to be out of the industry before calls for
>> 128 bit
>> AS#s come down the pipe and people (at that time) are laughing
>> about how
>> silly 32 bit AS#s seem.
> anyone have a swag at the number of things that this (32bit asn)
> touches?

Yes, and it means plenty of work for us all - hurray.  But we need to
take action to preserve the availability of new AS numbers for new
network builders.

RIPE will be accepting requests for 32-bit ASNs from 1/1/07,
according to an email to ncc-services two weeks ago.  It does not
feel too early to start to understand what we must do to as a
community to guarantee ubiquity of reachable networks.

There were no definitive answers when John Payne asked on the list
about images supporting 32 bit as numbers - are any independent
bodies going to setup a route behind a 32-bit ASN so that we can
start public reachability testing ?

Andy