Is it my imagination or are countless operations impacted today with mysql meltdowns

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Sun Aug 27 18:00:42 UTC 2006

Can I make a suggestion about inappropriate postings which I GUARANTEE
would help a lot?!

Can we have a DESIGNATED WHINER, or small list of whiners, who has a
CANNED MESSAGE and the option to add some text specific to the
message? And can take further suggestions of this sort so people can
release that "this message was inappropriate" steam?

Then every time someone posts something inappropriate we don't have to
wade through 20 or 30 individual "That was inappropriate" messages
often resulting in further discussion like oh no that's not the right
list it should have been on THIS list ooops I got that address wrong
here's the correction oh this one is probably good to use also for
that topic can we stop posting URLS can we stop feeding the troll are
we sure that's inappropriate yes it is I agree I agree too well maybe
sometimes it's not inappropriate what if it involves...oh I think
that's also inappropriate well I don't it belongs on...wouldn't this
be a better mailing list for that topic oh yes you're right oops I
typo'd that URL here's a correction ok this one also who died and made
you king I dunno who died and made you king don't feed the troll i
just want to say there's too much inappropriate traffic on this list
yeah me too too much inappropriate traffic yeah me too I'm considering
dropping the list because of the traffic yeah me too why can't that
topic go onto this mailing list that's a good list but this might be
better oops I typo'd the address here's a correction can we get back
on topic is that operational i just thought of something funny to
interject in this inappropriate thread how about this on youtube oops
the url got cut off here's the corrected url can you tinyurl that can
we please get back to some operational topic don't feed the troll blah
blah BLAH blah blah BLAH blah blah...

It's harsh of me to say, but something I've found in around 25 years
of these groups is that there's a certain type of person, and it's a
fairly common person, who never has anything to contribute (which is
fine) but one inappropriate message and it's like taunting mean cops,
watch out, they're all over it and suddenly get chatty. Scolding the
vast unknown seems to be their specialty. And their imagined target is
just about the least likely to read their fantasy scolding.

Too many cops. Way more "that was inappropriate" messages than
inappropriate messages.

There, now *I* did it.

No, I don't volunteer, but maybe one of the cops can.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide