AW: ams-ix - worth using?

Gunther Stammwitz gstammw at gmx.net
Fri Aug 25 12:10:35 UTC 2006

 > Without getting in the middle of the eternal contest over who
> is better, LINX or AMS-IX (each has its own advantages and
> disadvantages), the AMS-IX website says 165Gbps, the LINX
> website says 95Gbps (actual publicly switched traffic), and
> the DECIX website says 71Gbps. Some portion of the AMS-IX
> traffic seems to be Dutch-specific content that stays in the
> country, but there is plenty of global traffic there too.

I've just been in touch with a colleague of mine and he has to add the
following:
"Hey a biased analysis,
IIRC AMS-IX allows all kind of traffic including upstream, not only peering
traffic. DE-CIX is peering only. I assume the CIXes in US behave similar.
Besides that, I wonder what kind of hardware will they be using in the
future, assuming they grow like all other CIXes...."
[I'm posting for Andreas John here because he's currently not subscribed to
this list. Hope that's okay for you.]

Regards,
Gunther