ams-ix - worth using?

Ian Mason nanog at ian.co.uk
Thu Aug 24 15:03:16 UTC 2006

On 23 Aug 2006, at 22:46, matthew zeier wrote:

> (I know little about AMS-IX and am still waiting for someone from
> there to get back to me...)
>
> My NA bandwidth right now is ~200Mbps and about half of that
> appears to be EU destined.  I'm opening an EU POP soon and am
> trying to figure out what sort of value AMS-IX would give me.
>
> Does it simply provide an easy way to privately connect to transit
> and peers?  Or can I also go crazy and peer with anyone who wants
> to peer (like in the olden day!) ?

If it's your sole/first european peering point you should also
consider the LINX in London. In terms of traffic, routes and peering
partners both LINX and AMS-IX are similar. This isn't an accident as
both peering points are of a similar age, run in a similar fashion
and they cooperate a lot at the management level sharing experiences
etc. LINX works out cheaper for most folks but there's not a lot in
it. If you're an anglophone it might tip you slightly towards London
but equally it's hard to find an educated Dutchman who does not speak
good English. The LINX has slightly more member input into its
operations with more general meetings than AMS-IX holds.