ams-ix - worth using?

Miquel van Smoorenburg miquels at cistron.nl
Wed Aug 23 22:41:29 UTC 2006

In article <cistron.Pine.LNX.4.62.0608240010130.15997 at uplift.swm.pp.se>,
Mikael Abrahamsson  <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, matthew zeier wrote:
>
>> Does it simply provide an easy way to privately connect to transit and
>> peers? Or can I also go crazy and peer with anyone who wants to peer
>> (like in the olden day!) ?

[..]

>I'd say AMS-IX is mostly for peering with a lot of people, if that answers
>your question.

Also relevant: the ams-ix is a service, not a colocation facility.
They basically run a ridiculously high traffic ethernet platform
that is distributed over four locations in Amsterdam.

Most of the peering is done on the public ethernet (v)lan, though
you can get extra ports or a q-tagged port and private vlans if
you want.

Mike.