Amazon?

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Tue Aug 22 01:19:15 UTC 2006

> color me embarassed for sans/isc-handler-on-duty that they didn't point
> out that these are not in anyway linked to 'amazon the company' so not
> relevant to the 'problem' amazon may or may-not have had. :(

Um, haven't said anything in a while, but what the heck...

I think all of us who've been around a while realize that even
organizations with really good technical clue levels don't evenly
disseminate that clue level as more folks are brought on board.

In fact, as organizations get bigger the range of clue level seems to
broaden, not necessarily in the upward direction.

While NANOG has been pretty quiet of late, we see fewer and fewer
technical-operational issues and many more
political/structural-operational issues as the number of NOs in NA
become fewer and more mature.

This is as it should be, but I think those of us who are technical
enough to know the differences regarding (say:) WHOIS lose touch with
how funny and odd this internet stuff is for people used to the Web
being a ubiquitous business tool for the last 6+ years. Meaning, plenty
of businesses get "real" information about their competitors, suppliers
and the world from the Internet. (e.g. Directions, physical locations,
customer satisfaction reports, ratings, hours of operations, actual
capabilities, number of employees, real officers, marketing information,
nature of the services provided and how, what's going on with traffic,
who is having a sale, where the best place to buy a shoe-horn is in SoHo)

Its only the operations of the Internet itself that have very little
faith in the information the Internet provides (traceroutes, FOCs, LOAs,
capacity, diversity, POCs/contact information, spamming data, IP
databases, RBLs, reviews, RFOs, etc).

Maybe I'm finally a gray beard... but I am sure its not even interesting
to point out the delta in clue level between newbies and some of the
folks who've been on here for as long as I have.

Perhaps something along the lines of, "You know, I'm sure better
information will come out via xxx venue in a few hours, but it does seem
to be back up." Though in this specific case I am not sure that's
possible... just an observation.

So to ensure that this is operational content. "Clueful operational
reporting data does NOT scale with the size of the reporting
organization NOR the size of the client population."

Deepak