AS 8437 announced a quarter of the net for half of an hour

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Tue Aug 15 02:56:58 UTC 2006

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 01:36:36PM -0600, Josh Karlin wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Today (Aug 14th 2006) AS 8437 announced 63 /8 nets from 14:30 to 15:00
> UTC.  I don't believe that this is normal, but please correct me if I
> am wrong.

Note they're all unallocated blocks, so probably someone's attempt at
bogon filtering got leaked inadvertently. Since they're all unallocated
blocks, it shouldn't have done any harm, and anyone with reasonably
intelligent routing policies should have blocked those routes anyways. :P

And may there be a special circle of hell reserved for the weenies who do
stupid unnecessary shit that breaks more than it fixes in the name of
security. :)