i am not a list moderator, but i do have a request

Danny McPherson danny at tcb.net
Sun Aug 13 21:17:09 UTC 2006

On Aug 13, 2006, at 1:02 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:

> which is, please move these threads to a non-SP mailing list.
>
> R  [  41: Danny McPherson     ] Re: mitigating botnet C&Cs has
> become useless
> R      [  22: "Laurence F. Sheldon]
> R      <  45: Danny McPherson     >
> R          [  62: "Laurence F. Sheldon]
> R  [ 162: "J. Oquendo"        ] Re: [Full-disclosure] what can be
> done with botnet C&C's?
> R      < 211: "Payam Tarverdyan Ch>
> R          [  66: Michael Nicks       ]
>
> i already apologized to the moderators for participating in a non-
> ops thread
> here.  there are plenty of mailing lists for which botnets are on-
> topic.
> nanog is not one and should not become one.  nanog has other useful
> purposes.

Interestingly enough, I lurk here 99.999% of the time. I comment
on this thread and folks ask to move it to a non-SP mailing list?
Perhaps
non-operational, but this certainly has direct implications on SPs and
I'm of the opinion it's quite relevant - well, certainly as relevant
as the
past recent threads:

SORBS Contact
New Latop Policies
Fingerprinting and SPAM ID
MPLS Gear for Outside Plant
[perhaps] Fedex Contact
Citrix Load-balancing
Detecting Parked Domains

I suppose it's more "what I feel like reading and sending email
about", as
opposed to whether/what's on topic or not.  I'm done with this thread on
NANOG - else the slew of "me too" responses on this "list moderator"
thread
will divert attention from alternative cruft...

Wondering if I should send a message to NANOG every time I see a thread
of questionable NANOG relevance,

-danny