[Full-disclosure] what can be done with botnet C&C's?

Payam Tarverdyan Chychi payam at bhsecurity.com
Sun Aug 13 16:37:09 UTC 2006

 I’ve been reading on this subject for the last several weeks and it seems
as if everyone just like to come up with out of the box ideas that are
not realistic for today’s network environments

>> J.Oquendo, thanks for the Smurf example
 as there are still
admins/engineers at large networks that have no clue as to what they
are doing
 so QoS is for sure out of the question.. at least at this
time.

Depending on agents to take actions and protecting our networks is even a
bigger joke. Back in late 90s where kiddies were using the simplest types
of C&C, open wide irc networks with visible Channels and no encryptions

and agents couldn’t do anything unless the attack was big enough to take
down Amazon, yahoo, Microsoft or some other major provider with enough $$$
to start an investigation.

So what makes you think that agents are of any help in today’s world where
c&c have gotten so much more sophisticated, use backup private servers,
encryption, tunneling and much much more..

In my opinion, the only way to really start cracking down on c&c and put
an end to it is the cooperation of major ISP’s. I realize that most isp’s
cant/wont setup a security team to just investigate c&c / attacks (would
this really fall under the Abuse team?) but perhaps If all major networks
worked together and created a active db list of c&c found either on their
networks or attacking ones network
 then it would be much much easier to
trace back c&c and dispose of them.

Unfortunately, we don’t live in a perfect world and most isp’s hate
sharing any information
 I guess its better for them to have a bigger ego
than a safer / more stable network

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong

-Payam

> [...]
> end up creating a smarter and smarter botnet. Filter from here, they
> move, filter this port, they jump. Most network admins know how to
> entirely block these things but they don't. How about a completely
> new approach via AUP. "Welcome to Foofoo Network's your ISP. We allow
> SMTP, HTTP, HTTPS, IM." Period. No need to keep the other 65531 ports
> open.
>
>> Do you know who your local fed is?
>
> Definitely not on Clue Avenue. If they were there would be no need
> to try and impose LawB atop LawA which never worked in the first
> place.
>
>> I would like to hear some opinions on what networks can do, ecnomically,
>> from people here. Please stick to network operations issues.
>
>>        Gadi.
>
> Here is my opinion... Responsibility on both ends. For the user and
> the provider.
>
> The One-Two punch
>
> 1) For an ISP something like Campus Manager would work
> wonders (http://www.bradfordnetworks.com/products/security.html).
> Configured in the background it can take machines and shove them
> into a non useable VLAN until they get their act together.
>
> 2) Client breaching Terms of Service agreements? Hold them
> accountable.
>
> Users are responsible for their own machines:
>
> <analogy>
> UserA buys a gun and keeps it in his house.
>
> UserA does not buy a safe or take necessary precautions to
> safeguard his gun.
>
> LuzerB uses that gun for a crime.
>
> LuzerC (UserA's son or daughter brings it to show and tell)
>
> LuzerD (UserA's neighbor blows his brain out via Russian Roulette)
> </analogy>
>
> In all of these instances UserA would still have to answer
> for not taking the necessary precautions. Why not implement
> the same procedures when signing up a new user via TOS
> agreements. I'm sure more people would be reluctant to
> just close their eyes after one warning followed by them
> having to pay for not taking precautions.
>
> Sure, argue about the clueless ones who don't know who
> to tie their shoes. 1) Would make them more aware. 2)
> Would make networks safer since their is accountability.
>
> My two cents for the moment.
>

> --
> =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
> J. Oquendo
> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1383A743
> sil infiltrated . net http://www.infiltrated.net
>
> "How a man plays the game shows something of his
> character - how he loses shows all" - Mr. Luckey
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----
>
> --
> J. Oquendo
> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1383A743
> sil infiltrated . net http://www.infiltrated.net
>
> "How a man plays the game shows something of his
> character - how he loses shows all" - Mr. Luckey

Payam Tarverdyan Chychi
Network Analyst