New Laptop Polices

Barton F. Bruce barton at gnaps.com
Sat Aug 12 12:08:12 UTC 2006

>Given the new threats and the change in policy with the airlines and
>traveling in and around the UK, has anyone changed their laptop and
>portable computing device policy?  We are being questioned about the
>safety of executives traveling with their laptops.

You have just lost a valuable shield and weapon!

No longer will you have an almost closed laptop lid to tuck your fingers
under while parrying box-cutter thrusts with the base of the laptop used as
a shield.

And no more ULTIMATE frisbee with rectangular corners or hand held blunt
hatchet to crunch holes in a hijacker's skull.

And viewing it as a more civilized weapon, you have now been deprived of the
means to play for your seat row-mate's enlightenment any of the myriad of
9/11 DVDs, that an ever growing hoard will proclaim prove 9/11 could not
possibly have been done by those we have been told did it, or, even better,
some of which present compelling arguments that 9/11 was the much desired
and occasionally mentioned "2nd Pearl Harbor" to be orchestrated to forward
various non publicised but very domestic agendas.

I suspect dumb thin clients are in many of our futures. Rental shops or
company branch offices will be well stocked with inexpensive units and
whatever you need to run boots up from a DVD or USB thumb drive.  It is hard
to leave anything sensitive on a machine that has no hard drive.

Pity the folks gearing up to sell internet access on flights. Perhaps per
seat video screens double as thin client monitors. Watch the business grow
of the first airline offering such service.

Or we will have to wait until the next president, if we are even allowed to
have elections under marshall law after a 9/11 jumbo-REDUX someone we should
hope is protecting us might even be working on right now.

The single biggest thing that is bypassing a feckless or even "owned" press
is the internet, and our job is to keep it as free and as open as possible.