New Laptop Polices

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Aug 12 10:10:28 UTC 2006

In article
<1b5c1c150608110937m452ce532y70a4eb69d0f6af7c at mail.gmail.com>, Mike Lyon
<mike.lyon at gmail.com> writes
>Are laptops being questioned now in the UK when going through
>security? I would assume that they are probably wiping every laptop
>and doing the explosive check that they do...

No, in the UK they aren't checking laptops, they are insisting they all
go in the hold. And to answer another question: That includes Disk
drives and memory cards (and all other electrical items).

The UK's objective is mainly having a very short list of what's allowed,
to speed up searching at security by reducing the quantity of items.

Plus "liquids", even when purchased inside the airport, being added to a
blacklist for Transatlantic flights *both* ways.

You may find more scrutiny of electrical items if your travel originates
outside the UK, but the main issue here is the complete ban, outbound.
--
Roland Perry