New Laptop Polices

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Sat Aug 12 09:12:03 UTC 2006

On Aug 12, 2006, at 12:16 AM, joelja wrote:

> Fundamentally I don't see how changes in airline policy would have a
> significant effect in the steps required to secure a laptop against
> theft or tampering.

Because laptops are stolen / lost infrequently enough to allow
replacement measures to be non-trivial.  Just because IT can replace
your laptop & its contents doesn't mean it's cheap, easy, quick, or
even possible when you are overseas.

If I have to replace the laptop at the far end of every flight I
take, the procedure must be essentially idiot proof and
instantaneous.  That requires a lot more time, effort, money,
resources, etc.

--
TTFN,
patrick