ISP wants to stop outgoing web based spam

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Fri Aug 11 04:20:56 UTC 2006

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Florian Weimer wrote:

>> Back in 2002 I asked if anyone had a solution to block or rate limit
>> outgoing web based spam.
>
> What is web-based spam?  Comment spam?  Wiki defacements?  Or do you
> want to stop spam sent via web mailers?  That's their job.  They know
> more about their customers than you, and quite a few of them use HTTPS
> anyway.
>
> If Yahoo hasn't got rate limits on their "I've got a new email
> address" feature, for example, they need to fix it, not you or anybody
> else.

The big boys know what to do.  The smaller ones like walla.co.il, jumpy.it
and mail.ru to name just 3 out of about 300 I have seen, do not have all
those bells and whistles and therefore, in order to protect an ISPs IP
address space from not getting burned by spammers, the ISP has to take
proactive measures.

-Hank Nussbacher
http://www.interall.co.il