ISP wants to stop outgoing web based spam

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Thu Aug 10 19:50:23 UTC 2006

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Peter Corlett wrote:

> On 10 Aug 2006, at 19:12, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
>> I'll answer on-list since this answer can benefit others.  The primary
>> reason that the ISP wants to block outbound webmail spam is because the
>> 100s of BLs on the Internet end up blocking large segments of the IP space
>> due to spam reporting by end users.  The spammer can end up "burning" quite
>> a few IPs before the feedback loop of user->spam report->BL->ISP->block is
>> completed.  Therefore the ISP wants to be proactive and shut off the spam
>> before it even starts.  Even if it means losing revenue.
>
> This seems to imply that you're using dynamic addressing.

Not in the least.  Every downstream customer is assigned a small range of
static IPs.  Some get 8 IPs.  Over the course of a month, the spammer
would walk into the cybercafe and "burn" a different IP each time until
every PC in the small cybercafe would be non-functional.  And we have gone
through all the administrative ideas for combating this.  No need to
review that.  Been there.  Done that.  Lots of times.  If you have some
technological solution - then please post so all can benefit.  If you have
nice ideas, or thoughts, please spare the N:I ratio and end this thread.

-Hank Nussbacher
http://www.interall.co.il