ISP wants to stop outgoing web based spam

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Thu Aug 10 18:12:30 UTC 2006

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Ken Simpson wrote:

>> I've had a a situation in the past that required this same application.
>> I ended up using amavisd-new with custom views for incoming and outgoing
>> mail. For spam originating from inside, it was dropped completely, for
>> spam originating from the outside, subject was rewritten.
>
> Can you elaborate on the situation off-list? It seems to me that
> stopping outbound webmail spam is something that would not be
> profitable for an ISP. I am wondering what the ISP's motivation is to
> solve this problem.

I'll answer on-list since this answer can benefit others.  The primary
reason that the ISP wants to block outbound webmail spam is because the
100s of BLs on the Internet end up blocking large segments of the IP space
due to spam reporting by end users.  The spammer can end up "burning"
quite a few IPs before the feedback loop of user->spam
report->BL->ISP->block is completed.  Therefore the ISP wants to be
proactive and shut off the spam before it even starts.  Even if it means
losing revenue.

Hank Nussbacher
http://www.interall.co.il