rDNS naming conventions (was: Re: SORBS Contact)

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Thu Aug 10 15:47:39 UTC 2006

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 10:21:45AM -0400, Steven Champeon wrote:

> > The reason I do not like RDNS naming scheme is because it forces
> > one particular policy as part of the name.
>
> Fair enough. FWIW, I've seen a wide variety of naming schemes (I've
> got a project that collects these as an antispam/anti-botnet measure,
> and so far we've got around 16K conventions documented for 11K domains).

	first...  as a draft, it carries ZERO weight. -IF- it becomes an
	RFC, its targeted status in INFORMATIONAL, e.g no standard of any kind.
	So no one is going to -force- you to implement it.

	hum...  why does this draft remind me of the (in)famous WKS RR?
	what is WKS?  you know, that RR type that specified  the "well known services"
	running on/at the particular lable.

	WKS was depricated, in part due to the fact that "black hats" would
	use WKS to groom thair attack profiles.  Use of the conventions
	outlined in this draft would be very useful in building targeted
	attacks.  To paraphrase Randy Bush, "I encourage all my competition to
	implement these guidelines."

--bill