SORBS Contact

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Aug 10 00:41:34 UTC 2006

> Mark Andrews wrote:
> > 	Actually there can be false positive.  ISP's
> > 	who put address blocks into "dialup" blocks
> > 	which have the qualification that the ISP is
> > 	also supposed to only do it if they *don't*
> > 	allow email from the block but the ISP's
> > 	policy explicitly allows email to be sent.
> >
> Actually that's debatable - the SORBS DUHL is about IPs assigned to
> hosts/people/machines dynamically.  We do not list addresses where the
> ISP have sent the list explictitly saying 'these are static hosts, but
> they are not allowed to send mail' - similarly we do list hosts in the
> DUHL where the ISP has said 'these are dynamic but we allow them to send
> mail' - it's about the people using the SORBS DUHL for their purposes,
> not for helping ISPs getting around the issue of whether to use SORBS as
> a replacement to port 25 blocking.

	I wasn't thinking about SORBS.  It was a general warning to
	only put blocks on lists where the usage matches the policy
	of the list.

	I was thinking about a Australian cable provider that doesn't
	do the right thing.  I'm sure there will be other ISP's that
	also fail to check the list policy before nominating the
	address blocks for the lists.

	In reality there shouldn't be the need for dialup lists.

	Also most people don't really use the "dialup" lists correctly.
	They really should not be a absolute blocker.  They should
	also turn off "dialup" pattern matching tests otherwise you
	are getting a double penalty for the same thing.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org