ISP wants to stop outgoing web based spam

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Wed Aug 9 22:22:54 UTC 2006

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Matthew Black wrote:

> Use of "captchas" has serious accessibility issues:0
> visually-impaired users will have trouble completing forms. From a
> legal standpoint, this is a no-go and most definitely not possible
> for any government or public-sector agency in the United States.

Ditto for at least one EU jurisdiction, and likely several more of
them.

I can't quite remember if there already is a directive issued, but
there definitely was/is an EU working group looking at a variety of
equality issues.

In Ireland, captchas would likely contravene the Equal Status Act of
2000 with respect to providing services, which applies to *all*
persons and bodies. I believe the UK may have similar legislation in
force (though I can't recall the name of the act).

Turing tests can /easily/ be implemented in ASCII, which is
compatible with screen readers used by the visually impaired.

regards,
Fortune:
"I have not the slightest confidence in 'spiritual manifestations.'"
-- Robert G. Ingersoll