ISP wants to stop outgoing web based spam

David Andersen dga+ at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Aug 9 18:24:47 UTC 2006

On Aug 9, 2006, at 2:15 PM, Barry Shein wrote:

> I think what was being talked about was that a lot of spam now comes
> as embedded images which unpack into ads for the usual stuff. It's
> actually been going on for a few years but I guess as the other stuff
> gets more and more effectively blocked this form becomes more salient.
>
> Thus far I don't know of any good filter for these.
>
> Common spam software seems to rotate or vary these slightly so it's
> not as simple as comparing to one you've seen before. Since the image
> formats are compressed, usually gif, tiny changes can ripple through
> the entire encoding.

Now we'll have to throw our inbound email through an OCR.

Then the spammers will start rotating the text or changing the
background.

So we'll write a better OCR that can see through such transformations.

At which point, the spammers will be happy, because we'll have given
them a tool to break Captchas.

Hmmm...

(Or just reject mail with images in it. :)

   -Dave