traffic from DE to DE goes via NL->UK->US->FR

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Fri Aug 4 14:43:57 UTC 2006

Andrius Kazimieras Kasparavic(ius wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if it is normal for traffic from DE to DE to flow  through  NL->UK->US->FR and so increase delay nearly 100 times?
> Traceroute here: http://pastebin.ca/115200 and there is only 4 AS, so ASPATH does not help a lot in finding such links with a horrifying optimisation. I believe there is much worse links, any software
> to detect this? Something like scanning one ip from larger IP blocks with icmp and comparing geotrajectoyi via geoip?
>
> thank you,
> AKK

I remember two peculiarities.

Between Amsterdam and London packets were summersolting. The fifth packet arrived
before the second. Making VoIP impossible.

In the Cyberbunker every IPv4 address gave a different traceroute. Most addresses
did not work at all.

When I replaced a GrandStream ATA-486 as VoIP gateway and DSL-router by a slow
linux box, that mess cleared. Everything working fine and fast. The ICMP in
the GrandStream was broken. I guess in the Cyberbunker a local router was broken
too. The sh** needed both routers to reach the fan.

Cheers
Peter and Karin

--
Peter and Karin Dambier