traffic from DE to DE goes via NL->UK->US->FR

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Aug 4 13:40:59 UTC 2006

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Andrius Kazimieras Kasparavi?ius wrote:

> Just wondering if it is normal for traffic from DE to DE to flow through
> NL->UK->US->FR and so increase delay nearly 100 times? Traceroute here:
> http://pastebin.ca/115200 and there is only 4 AS, so ASPATH does not
> help a lot in finding such links with a horrifying optimisation. I
> believe there is much worse links, any software to detect this?
> Something like scanning one ip from larger IP blocks with icmp and
> comparing geotrajectoyi via geoip?

You should direct the question to whereever you are a customer.

These things usually happen when one party doesn't want to peer with
another party and the one that wants to peer, will route traffic really
far away to make sure that both parties are paying for the traffic, thus
increasing the motivation for the other party to change their mind
regarding peering.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se