mitigating botnet C&Cs has become useless

John Kristoff jtk at ultradns.net
Fri Aug 4 01:23:14 UTC 2006

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 12:22:31 -1000
"Scott Weeks" <surfer at mauigateway.com> wrote:

> > But shutting them down, that's like the police arresting
> > all the informants.  It doesn't stop the crime, it just
> > eradicates all your easy leads.
>
> What're folk's thoughts on that?

Well that's one perspective.

I love the bit about tagging the packets and using QoS (whatever that
means) though, that would be a hoot.  Keep in mind bots are not just
for DoS.  They spam, they capture keystrokes and mouseclicks, they can
be proxies and so on.   If in the name of botnets QoS gets widely
deployed I'll put print out this email, puree it in a blender and
humbly chug it down at a future NANOG.

John