Detecting parked domains

Duane Wessels wessels at packet-pushers.com
Thu Aug 3 08:05:55 UTC 2006

> I am looking for a way that you, or anyone else, could indicate a domain
> should not be considered "in service" although the name is registered and
> has an A record pointing to an active server so when I check that name
> it doesn't require a human to interpret the results.

You might be able to use lack of an SOA record as a hint.  In my
experience, parked domains often do not have SOA records because
the parking companies are lazy.  It is a lot easier to put all the
parked domains in a parent zone file, or even use a wildcard, rather
than have a zone file for each parked name.

Duane W.