Detecting parked domains

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Wed Aug 2 21:54:38 UTC 2006

On Aug 2, 2006, at 5:37 PM, Peter Dambier wrote:

> How about creating a database domain(domain_owner,domain_name)
> and then querying by domain_owner. If the guy has more than 100 he
> looks
> like a squatter and can me manually looked at.
> And if you are not famous?

I have over 100 domains on my personal web server.  _NONE_ of them
are parked, although not all have web pages (and of the ones that do,
none have ads).

The personal name server I run (in a group of several name servers we
run collectively) has approximately 1000 domains on it.  I can't
guarantee that there is not a single parked domain, but the
overwhelming majority are not parked.

I doubt we're "famous".  How are you going to be able to tell they
aren't parked?  Pull up the web page on a few domains to see what
they look like?  Check all 1000 manually?  Half?

--
TTFN,
patrick