Detecting parked domains

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Wed Aug 2 21:37:45 UTC 2006

Sean Donelan wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>>>Has anyone come up with a quick method for detecting if a domain
>>>name is parked, but is not being used except displaying ads?
>>
>>AFAICT, the main challenge is to define what "parked" means in the
>>context of your application.
>

> There seems to be DNSBL's for every other thing, I was expecting to find
> one for parked domain names or the server IP addresses used.
>
> This was for personal interest, rather than a commercial opportunity.  I'm
> a lousy typist and its unlikely change. But I can write computer
> applications.  I'd rather get a message my application can process
> rather than relying on a human.
>
> My preference is "legitimate" domain parking firms included a
> standardized piece of meta-data my application could detect and use
> as "this domain doesn't really exist." Sorta of a variant of the
> web robots.txt file, but I prefer it to be application independent,
> instead of assuming everything is HTTP Port 80.  Perhaps start with a
> standard record associated with the parked domain, i.e.
> _notexist.example.com.
>
> For less legitimate domain parking (i.e. typo-squatters), its a different
> problem.

How about creating a database domain(domain_owner,domain_name)
and then querying by domain_owner. If the guy has more than 100 he looks
like a squatter and can me manually looked at.

e.g.

6.ag.                   86400   IN      NS      ns1.sedoparking.com.
6.ag.                   86400   IN      NS      ns2.sedoparking.com.
auktion.ag.             86400   IN      NS      ns1.sedoparking.com.
auktion.ag.             86400   IN      NS      ns2.sedoparking.com.
bilder.ag.              86400   IN      NS      ns1.sedoparking.com.
bilder.ag.              86400   IN      NS      ns2.sedoparking.com.
tvshop.ag.              86400   IN      NS      ns1.sedoparking.com.
tvshop.ag.              86400   IN      NS      ns2.sedoparking.com.
videothek.ag.           86400   IN      NS      ns1.sedoparking.com.
videothek.ag.           86400   IN      NS      ns2.sedoparking.com.
webhosting.ag.          86400   IN      NS      ns1.sedoparking.com.
webhosting.ag.          86400   IN      NS      ns2.sedoparking.com.

grep | wc says he has 51 lines. I guess it is 26 domains. The name suggests they are parked.

01.ag.                  86400   IN      NS      ns19.schlund.de.
01.ag.                  86400   IN      NS      ns20.schlund.de.
0800fitness.ag.         86400   IN      NS      ns11.schlund.de.
0800fitness.ag.         86400   IN      NS      ns12.schlund.de.
1-and-1.ag.             86400   IN      NS      ns3.schlund.de.
1-and-1.ag.             86400   IN      NS      ns4.schlund.de.
zusatzverdienst.ag.     86400   IN      NS      ns7.schlund.de.
zusatzverdienst.ag.     86400   IN      NS      ns8.schlund.de.
zweitmarkt.ag.          86400   IN      NS      ns25.schlund.de.
zweitmarkt.ag.          86400   IN      NS      ns26.schlund.de.
zypern.ag.              86400   IN      NS      ns21.schlund.de.
zypern.ag.              86400   IN      NS      ns22.schlund.de.

grep | wc says 3226 lines. But they are a famous german hoster. I dont think
they are squatting.

Just for curiousity AG is the german equivalent of PLC or SA in french.

I thought the namesevers would do. Maybe the whois gives more help.

Cheers
Peter and Karin

--
Peter and Karin Dambier