Detecting parked domains

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Aug 2 21:23:11 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Cory Whitesell wrote:

> The trouble I see with this, is that legitimate web hosts commonly run
> several domains off one server, distinguishing by host headers.
> So assuming that because 10 domains point at the same IP they must be parked,
> is a bad assumption.

It is. You need to have pre-determined (manually done) of what servers
have these "parked" pages. Then if you see other domains pointing to
the same server, its almost always another "parked domain".

But as Randy points, just because its website is "parked" does not
mean domain is not being used in some other way. But in my opinion
this still qualifies domain as "parked" because common use of
"parked domain" term has to do with content of its website and does
not imply that domain is or is not being used in some unique way for
email or some other traffic.