Local Loop Install.

Robert Sherrard rob at robsherrard.com
Wed Apr 26 22:05:23 UTC 2006

I've got an interesting question / situation...

I've got a local loop provider that we're looking at using for some
fiber connectivity. The long story is that there's no real great place
for them to place their gear in the entire building, sort of paying rent
to the landlord, placing gear in our suite, or placing gear in an
uncontrolled room , i.e. no cooling, no controlled access. This
"local-loop" provider is asking to place this gear into our space...
while this gear is to provide us with fiber connectivity back to a
carrier hotel; they're also looking to service other tenants in our
building. It is unrealistic to ask this provider for some sort of a
kickback, or monthly discount on service? They're hitting us up for an
install fee, maybe they could waive that? Anyone have some thoughts on
this? Am I being unrealistic in thinking that, if they are going to
profit by having gear in our space, we should expect to see a small
return or favor? The only other option for them is to spend money and
lease a small room, or modify an existing smaller room in the building
to fit their needs.

Rob