data center space

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 25 02:43:47 UTC 2006

Lincoln Dale wrote:

> I suggest you talk to some of the folks you work with that have to deal with
> synchronous replication.
>
> In the world of storage networking & synchronous I/O, typically anything
> higher than 1 msec round-trip latency is too high.

True, but 2ms latency in syncing a backup system is much better than 1
month complete loss of service due to *poor* continuity planning.  We
all know what the next big threats are (nuclear and/or biological), is
it worth the risk that the next (and there will be) event is small
enough not to affect an area 65 miles across?

-Jim P.