data center space

Martin Hannigan hannigan at renesys.com
Thu Apr 20 01:36:20 UTC 2006

At 08:11 PM 4/19/2006, Alex Rubenstein wrote:

>>On many of the public colo houses earnings calls, they told
>>analysts that they are trying to keep contracts to one year
>>so they can raise prices year over year, that power pricing is
>>fluid and many facilities are being expanded both space and
>>environmental, that most locations really are full or being held
>>down by lack of cooling for existing dense rack space. Basically
>>get ready to hold out your wallet.
>
>Is it that?
>
>Or, is it some of these companies no realising that charging $250
>for a 20 amp outlet is less than their cost, even three years ago?

I don't know, but I was selling only measured power in 2001 and people liked
it. Granted, power was cheaper, but pay as you go was a good model. You still
had to cool to breaker density, but it was nice to have no power risk and I
would recommend that anyone who can, should convert to measured power billing.

Remember when folks thought Exodus was crazy for 220w per square foot?

-M<

--
Martin Hannigan                                (c) 617-388-2663
Renesys Corporation                            (w) 617-395-8574
                                                hannigan at renesys.com