Is your ISP Influenza-ready?

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Wed Apr 19 11:14:59 UTC 2006

> So if you're really expecting something as macro as 40% of the
> population dropping dead I think one has to think much bigger and much
> more in the realm of unexpected consequences.

> Most companies don't go under because they lose a lot of their
> revenue, they're often dead due to losing a relatively small amount of
> revenue (like 10-15%) due to fixed overheads.

I remember a relatively minor court case in Los Angeles
a few years back about police brutality. Nothing really unusual
about it except that there was some published video footage.
And the guy's name wasn't even Rodney King. That is a prime
example of the unexpected consequences when many people feel
highly stressed. Small triggers lead to huge consequences.

I would urge people to think about other issues rather than
just working from home. Will the water supply continue to
come to your home? Will the food stores continue to function?
Will you still have electricity or gas to cook your food?
An epidemic on this scale could impact all those systems but
advance planning can mitigate against all of these except a
major electrical outage. But laptops with spare batteries and
a solar recharger can go a long way towards keeping one of
your key personnel in operational readiness.

--Michael Dillon