Is your ISP Influenza-ready?

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Tue Apr 18 18:43:47 UTC 2006

Hello;

On Apr 18, 2006, at 1:53 PM, David W. Hankins wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 02:05:41PM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:
>> 	Back to the original question, how well could you cope for such
>> an event?  It's always challenging to think about what would happen
>> as sometimes it includes the unexpected.
>
> All the guidance suggests you're going to lose as much as 40% of your
> workforce.
>
> Well, what intrigues me, is: which 40?  I don't think the virus is
> going
> to select sales, marketing, and Tech support in that order (unless
> it's
> an STD epidemic, har har).  Were that the case we might actually look
> forward to such outbreaks.

The most likely disease vector is, from what I have heard, airline
travel.
Assorted people from all over are brought together for a meal (or, at
least,
bogus pretzels) in a confined space for a few hours, then released
back into
the general population.

So the NANOG and IETF crowd would probably be the first to go. Since
I travel
a lot, and to the same meetings, I can't say that that this seems
like a good
idea to me.

If any of this actually starts happening, we all may become very
interested in
video conferencing.

Regards
Marshall