IP ranges, re- announcing 'PA space' via BGP, etc

Charles Gucker cgucker at onesc.net
Sun Apr 16 00:39:32 UTC 2006

On 4/7/06, Alexander Koch <efraim at clues.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 7 April 2006 07:03:09 -0400, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> > Can you give us some examples so us "dumb Americans" can more
> > precisely explain the problem? :)
>
> When a random customer (content hoster) asks you to accept
> something out of 8/8 that is Level(3) space, and there is no
> route at this moment in the routing table, do you accept it,
> or does Level(3) have some fancy written formal process and
> they get approval to do it, etc.?

        Btw, I hope you folks would defer to Level(3)'s reannouncement
policy, which is very clear in their AS object located within RIPE's
IRR, which reads:

        If you are a provider who has been asked to route a
        more-specific network block that is part of 4.0.0.0/8,
        please ask your customer to contact Level 3 to obtain
        a new network block.

        Level 3 will not accept advertisements for any networks
        that are part of 4.0.0.0/8 from any non-customer peer.

      So, if you want to do what's "right", tell your customer to go
talk with Level(3), so they can renumber into IP space that would be
permitted to be announced more specifically.   If anybody wants to see
the comments in their as object, just look at
http://www.onesc.net/communities/as3356  it's very clear.

charles