Common Carrier Question

david raistrick drais at atlasta.net
Fri Apr 14 15:58:33 UTC 2006

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, Derek J. Balling wrote:

> From reading that, though, it looks like the ISP in question also has its own
> telephone product (after all, the quote in the article is that they are a
> "North Carolina service provider that calls itself the '17th largest phone
> company' in the US"

They do.  I dealt with them as a customer once. (had a server hanging off
one of their business dsl packages...the dsl was down for 4 weeks...)

They do phone service in a lot of the coastal areas from Brunswick, GA up
into NC, mostly in the areas that bellsouth isn't in.  They have a lot of
different names, all part of the Madison River conglomerate.   They have
cable companies, ISPs, and telcos.

Warning if you ever have to deal with them:  Level 1 tech support knows
jack, and has no way to get ahold of Level 2, or anyone else.  "All we can
do is send an email through our ticket system..."

I wound up calling home phone numbers for various company officials
leaving voicemail.  And what do you know, less than 24 hours later the
circuit was back up...

---
david raistrick        http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
drais at atlasta.net             http://www.expita.com/nomime.html